Terminal Heist Forums

The place to discuss Terminal Heist, the space piracy and defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-03-09 04:37:56

xjosephx

How are things going?

I noticed theres been a big increase in activity on the game but still mostly silence on the forums. Also what do you plan to do with the 3 family robots you have, because i feel like they need to be massively changed.

#2 2017-03-09 04:46:31

cullman

Re: How are things going?

Things are going well.  I should have announced it on here. Terminal Heist is now available in the app store both for Android and iOS.  Also, we have made some improvements to the editor.  https://server.terminalheist.com/editor  Now you can cut/copy/paste and even test things in the editor.  Please check this all out and give me your feedback.

What do you mean about the 3 family robots, what's wrong with them in your opinion?

-cullman

Last edited by cullman (2017-03-09 16:26:51)

#3 2017-03-09 15:54:16

xjosephx

Well the only way to actually protect them is a huge line of robots pretty much, which is insanely cost ineffective, and if you dont protect them somebody can just run in with a crowbar and steal 50% of your money. I like the idea of having a seperate thing to protect, it could even be cool if you could split your money into seperate vaults (the vaults could cost a lot of money to place initially). Im not sure how that could work though in terms of when somebody raids the base and finds one of the vaults, how do they leave the base. But yeah i think the family bots need changing, they are too restrictive on base design and they shouldn't need a completely empty path to the exit. Obviously you can't just remove that because then they just get put in a giant concrete box every time, so i'm not sure exactly what to do but something needs to change,

As for the editor it didnt load.

#4 2017-03-09 16:27:54

cullman

I think the bots are pretty tried and true in The Castle Doctrine game.  Sorry I had a typo in the editor url, it's fixed now.

#5 2017-03-11 00:26:09

xjosephx

But walking in and clubbing peoples family is ridiculous, you just steal half their money so easily. I just got 7000 from it. would be like 10-12 if i hadnt wasted so much of it.

#6 2017-03-11 00:31:18

xjosephx

Destroyed all but one base on the server by clubbing their families to death. (not counting spacepirate cos he has no familybots)

#7 2017-03-11 02:28:38

cullman

People aren't protecting their bots well then. You can use pits and flee and chase bits and attack droids. If setup right it should cost $1200 per attack droid

#8 2017-03-11 10:05:18

xjosephx

Yes but pits and bots are expensive to make. And most players will not know how to defend their family. I'm sure most don't even know the family does anything, i didn't for a while.

#9 2017-03-11 17:24:45

cullman

Yeah I am hoping to basically copy the wikia from The Castle Doctrine over to a Terminal Heist page soon (unless someone in the community wants to volunteer) as his Wife and Children in his game function exactly as our bots do.  The other thing is the bots are not key to winning most terminals end up losing them eventually.  One thing that TH team has debated is whether or not we will diverge from TCD's behavior and allow users to rebuy bots at a high price.  I'm kinda in favor of this.

On another note, has anyone tried the mobile clients yet?  Feedback is welcome.

Thanks!

Last edited by cullman (2017-03-11 17:27:00)

#10 2017-04-13 23:01:14

SmokestormX

Looking good, I'm glad to see that the game is being worked on and I am VERY impressed that you got phone clients up and running, what a star. Though I wouldn't mind some notifications of new tapes to be watched.

With the Castle Doctrine, my friends and I had a lot of fun designing our bases and traps, and our designs had to change with all the updates Jason was doing. I hope that Terminal Heist gets an influx of old and new players and I would love to see the evolution of this game, and I do hope that with the help of these forums some of the problems that plagued the old game (combi locks, blueprint era) will be overcome.

I wish you all the luck in the world, I'm telling anyone who will listen to play this game.

#11 2017-04-16 04:26:19

cullman

SmokestackX,

I think one of the best things about TCD was Jason and the testers did a good job of finding balance between the tiles and tools what the prices should be etc.  So we have left most of that stuff alone.  Our goal with Terminal Heist was to :
- Support Mobile
- Tone down the violence so we could maybe get some of younger minecraft players into the player base
- Stop or at least greatly reduce cheating

We've made good progress on all this stuff, now we just need exposure.  On the cheating front, we have removed the random names, with the hope that it will be easier to spot if people are dual accounting (mr x always comes in right after mr y dumps tools in a house).  Additionally, we have implemented a server side mode, where all the game logic takes place on the server.  The advantage of this the game does not send the whole map down to the client, so people with hacked clients can't map cheat.  This feature works, but is currently turned off in production.

We've got a ton of ideas of things we could add to the game in terms of content.  New tools, new tiles, tournament and clan play, in game messaging, things like being able to buy different shape and sized "terminals" (imagine a terminal that was donut shaped), we've even talked about potentially allowing people to design their own tiles, or limited edition tiles that you can only get after a certain achievement.  We've discussed the idea of real time turn based multiplayer, allowing people to try to rob the same house at the same time.  Granted most of these ideas are half baked and are probably bad.  However, we are very open minded when it comes to improving the game and keeping it interesting.  However, it's unlikely we will invest any more time in new features unless we can attract a user base.  Jason sold 18k copies of TCD, and I think TH has advantages over TCD in that it works on mobile, its all ages, and it's free.  In my mind, we should hopefully be able to find a player base.  Unfortunately, I don't have the following Jason Rohrer does, and my marketing plan is constricted by personal cash flow.  We will eventually advertise though.  The best thing anyone can do to is try to get other people to check out the game and get them playing.  The game is way more fun when there are 100s of terminals instead of 7 smile

I like your notification idea, it's on our radar.  One thing I was thinking about was being able to set triggers for different notifications.  One thing I used to hate in TCD is I would go to work with a $2k proof house and then someone would walk in and die and drop $10k in my vault and of course my $2k proof house would be brute forced before I got home.  So we could have notifications for new tapes, or if you get a major increase in your vault balance, even potentially having a notification if a particular player entered your house.  One other thing I like about the non-random player names is it allows for long standing feuds to happen smile

In summary, please share any ideas whether it comes to the game or how to promote it.

Thanks!

-cullman

Board footer