Terminal Heist Forums

The place to discuss Terminal Heist, the space piracy and defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-06 07:41:28

AMWhy

Building a userbase

With all MMO games, a userbase of players is vital.  This is especially so with a game like terminal heist where the game thrives on other users to create new content.  As such, I thought this would be a good place to voice suggestions for 1: bringing new players into the game and 2: ensuring the highest number of players remain in the game.

A first start would be to mail all the old CD players to let them know TH is finally here (in a Beta mode, at least).

Second, the TH website needs to be updated (it still reads iOS and Android coming soon).

Any other thoughts on this?

#2 2017-04-07 17:21:21

cullman

Re: Building a userbase

AMWhy,

I have lots of thoughts on the above.  My mailing list of people who are interested in TH is about 20-25 people. However, Jason Rohrer has generously agreed to send an email for us when we are ready for people who I guess subscribed to the The Castle Doctrine Mailing list and I think that has 4-6k emails.  Here is the tricky bit, and one of the reason things have been going so slowly is I feel like we have only one shot with that email.  I'm really really happy with the way the game came out, and I feel like if TCD was successful with our changes and the fact we are free if we get the right exposure we should be able to get a good base going.  I suggest that people check out the single player mode, Rich has created amazing content that is still teaching me things about the game (I spent about 2 hours trying to solve a level the other night!).  It starts out a  little slow cause it doubles as a tutorial but I would pay for it as a stand alone game.  So I have three ideas to increase the user base : the Jason email, paid for advertising and using PR to get articles written.  The reason I am waiting, is our thinking was that we should get a steam greenlight page up and send the traffic not just to the website but to the steam greenlight page and hopefully kill two birds with one stone get people to download and play the game, but also vote for it in steam.  So basically, the hang up has been the steam greenlight page. I have been working on getting a trailer done, but it is very tedious work.  I would guess I will end up with a few hours of recorded game play that will be edited into 30 - 60 trailer to try to show off what is fun about the game.  I'm collecting this videos every day and I think I'm probably a week or two away from having enough footage we can cut a trailer from.  Once that is done and we are happy with that, then I'm going to go into full court press with promoting the steam greenlight page etc.   After, that's done I think we can do the PR route and do a real money contest (and demonstrate our server side play mode, where people can't mapsteal cheat), and hopefully we will get enough of a player base it will start to grow organically.   I know this has been a long time coming, and I fear that most of the original TCD audience have moved on, but that doesn't really bother me, I think this game has a lot more potential to capture kids that are into minecraft etc due to the lower violence and being able to play on a  tablet.  Also, AMWhy if you haven't checked out the Terrminal Heist Editor it's a game changer literally. Right now it lets you basically push any house into the game, so that will eventually be locked down - but it's like Castle Draft on steroids you should check it out.

Good point on the website saying Android and iOS coming soon.  I will get those fixed today.

#3 2017-04-11 04:14:49

AMWhy

Sorry for the slow reply - I'm taking my time and enjoying the solo-game right now.  You are right, it could be a standalone game in its own right.  The whole game however... I feel that unless you have already played Castle Doctrine, you will be lost very quickly.  I think it needs a proper tutorial.  Akin to the hoardes of games these days with a 'guide' character telling you how to play.  Failing that, have a help screen with all items listed and a short and full description of what the item does.  That would help a lot.

I will be playing with the editor once I finish the solo game - I'm half-way through now.

Congrats on getting the 4+ rating on apple though!  That's excellent news!

#4 2017-04-13 00:49:31

cullman

I don't think we have the bandwidth to do a guided tutorial.  I was planning on porting the castle doctrine wikia to terminal heist just by basically using the same content and find and replacing the names of tiles and tools and all the images.  I haven't gotten around to this yet, maybe I'm hoping someone in the community will volunteer smile

There is one more cool little help feature Rich created.  If you press help from the robbery screen there is a little image that shows you which tools overcome what tiles.  It's funny there were a few I didn't know about, like the fact that a crowbar/magnetic ram can break electronic switches.

Board footer