Terminal Heist Forums

The place to discuss Terminal Heist, the space piracy and defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-04-25 04:16:48

AMWhy

Well Done ThanosPKC

I've just had immense pleasure watching ThanosPKC work his way through my maze.  He had to use force to complete it and he will still be scratching his head for how the last part is possible without tools, but he at least found the correct way - the only person so far.

The house is Mr Why and it will be back up again soon.

Edit: Make that a bit later - I forgot how dangerous self-tests could be...

Last edited by AMWhy (2017-04-25 04:21:05)

#2 2017-04-25 05:46:00

Cylence

Re: Well Done ThanosPKC

Hi AMWhy, my term heist name is ThanosPKC.

I've found Mr. Why's vault a few times already, and I actually meant to suicide in front of it after that last one too, i just accidentally double tapped. Sorry man. smile

I actually know where all the vaults of all the houses are, as I've visited everyone multiple times, never really hitting the vault, just perusing and showing how i would get around things.

As far as passing that part, it probably has to do with the dog to the south that you first view at the entrance, and you can manipulate him by going to the top two rows which gives you space to reverse the buttons. The center dog could also play a part, but i'm not sure.

I visited during mid construction when you only had one chi up there, and deemed the area unpassable pretty early, but I wanted to see what you had up there anyway smile. You introduced the second chi later on.

I'm wondering if anyone else is doing any robbing, so I put up a base. We'll see what happens.

#3 2017-04-25 06:02:31

Cylence

Looks like a Skipface, Firelore, and MrWhy have dropped by. Good to see people are robbing.

#4 2017-04-25 06:45:03

AMWhy

The two dogs are ruses for now - designed to make the dummy route possible.  They may play an important part later.  The Dummy route, as you discovered with that crowbar, is currently unsolvable.  I am planning to change that later as well for a second potential vault location.

I'm redesigning Mr Why's house but I will keep the entrance the same - I like it that way and so far you are the only one to pass it.

#5 2017-04-25 11:55:13

cullman

Don't feel bad, Cylence, is the designer of the single player mode. He has to be in the top two or three experts on his game.

Also, this my sound self serving, but I already am liking the non-Random name thing takes the whole keep track of X is Y aspect of TCD.

I've always thought about whether or not we should add some form of in game messaging. What if we added the ability to optionally associate forum names to game names. In fact, we could even make it so they have to match, it would be better to decide that now while we have less than 40 forum users. It would also keep people from impersonating users on the forum. It could be as simple as just automatically creating a user on the forum at user registration time.
So on robber death, escape or success we could present a dialog that says "send a message to this user" if the user has forum mailing on. We could also have a button that allows you to make a public post, in that case we could have an icon next to the robbery tape that takes you to the post. And a non-clickable icon to indicate an email was sent regarding the robbery. I'm not sure how interested people would be in this feature. But I often have questions and comments for the house owner. I just worry it would turn into hate mail. This could be called an MMO game and itight be the first where there is no in game communication. Also, this would not prevent people from having forum accounts not tied to game accounts if they want to post without it being tied back to his game users.
I have officially generated more ideas than lines of code at this point. Back to working in the wiki.

Last edited by cullman (2017-04-25 12:00:49)

#6 2017-04-26 04:12:03

Skipface

Its funny, this game has more active users than the original game.

Last edited by Skipface (2017-04-26 04:13:42)

#7 2017-04-26 08:32:35

cullman

Well, and we are just getting started.  We haven't even spent money on marketing yet.  I have an outreach plan to reach old and active TCD players, I'm hoping after that we will get a few more hundred users.  We are at 295 users up from like 241 users or so two weeks ago, and all I did was make a post on the dead TCD subreddit and personally sent a few notes to some active subscribers there.  After, I make my pass at the TCD users, I think I will remail the who TH user base.  I'm surprised to hear we have 300 users and only like 32 forum members.  Then of course I think TCD had 18k users and 700 forum users.  Anyway, once the wiki is up (so so soon) we will blast both those groups and I think we should start seeing some activity.

Skipface, let me know if you have any questions and concerns.

- cullman

**PS At the risk of being super obnoxious, another project I worked on was a fork from XBMC (Xbox Media Center - Now called Kodi ), we forked it into (Plex.tv).  The three Plex founders had many philosophical differences with the core team (namely we were professional programmers living in Silicon Valley, and they were hobbyists.  Not to sound snobby nothing wrong with hobbyist, and we would have had nothing without the work they put in.  So we contributed our code back to XBMC which became the official Mac port of XBMC (and the basis of Boxee) and started to work on Plex.  Today, Plex has officially retired all of the code that was based on XBMC and everything that is supported today is completely written from scratch.  Now Plex is almost in the top 500 sites in the US : http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/plex.tv (top 1500 world wide)
and Kodi.tv is in the top 2000 : http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/kodi.tv top 3000 world wide)

Anyway, again while this would probably seem like bragging, I only bring it up to make a quick point.  When we started Plex in 2007, we were 3 guys.  XBMC was 40+, 6 months later Boxee came on the scene with millions of dollars and another 30+ programers.  Boxee raised over $25-30.  Plex raised $1M in 2009 (that's after I self funded it for two years).  Anyway, fast forward today, Kodi kinda looks like it's on the decline, Plex seems to be growing rapidly and is profitable and Boxee is gone. Both Boxee and Kodi nee XBMC basically told us we were a joke cause we were just 3 people and they had a ten year head start.  Now look where everyone is, I'm not saying Plex is perfect (how could it be I'm no longer actively involved).  While created in 2007, and incorporated and raised $1M in 2009, then released the iOS app which was huge in 8/2010.  Released Plex Pass in 2012.  Raised some of the best venture capital you can get (still less than Boxee raised and then lost). and is still profitable.  So Plex looks easy, but we started in 2007 and we really didn't hit stride until 2011-12.  Now like Terminal Heist, Plex was largely supported by folks already working a day job, so it has been admittedly taking way longer than I wanted.  It's however, my only priority now, and I don't think we are going to need to wait another 3-4 years to find and audience and success.  There are just so many places we can go with this intellectual property.  So I appreciate you guys being here, solving the chicken in the egg problem (the game is no fun without players, I'm not gonna play the game cause it's no fun without players).  I will warn you before I start doing some marketing pushes so everyone can get there houses ready (hell just load it in the editor push it , self test you're done).

I'm thinking about writing a bot that just replaces me.  It does one of these random things at the end of every post : Invents a useless new feature I have no time to implement, Tells a Plex story, and explains what mf'ing THE Terminal Heist Editor is : https://server.terminalheist.com/editor

P.S.S.  I like it when my P.Ss are longer than my letter, but how do I feel about my P.S.S.s being longer than P.S.s  sit down, relax and let me tell you a story....I seriously think I'm starting to get to the age where dad humor is funny to me.  Someone put me in mala's suicide booth.

Board footer