Terminal Heist Forums

The place to discuss Terminal Heist, the space piracy and defense game.

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-18 22:16:44

cullman

Quick poll on a new behavior of TH vs TCD on "Tool Overkill"

"Tool Overkill" is when someone brings in more value in tools than the actual value of the house.

Can I get everyone's thoughts on this idea....

What do you guys think about making the game do this :

- If a user tries to rob a house with a tool value (not retail tool value but 1/2 retail value) that is greater than the entire value of the terminal - should we block that user from entering that terminal with a message like : "This would be a poor investment as you are bringing more value of tools into this house than the entire house is worth".  Here are the current pros and cons as I see them.

Pros :
Keeps people from tool dumping between into empty or broken terms
Keeps rich people from just wiping out bottom houses for the hell of it

Cons :
I think especially now that we have non-random names I can see a scenario where you might want to spend more than the house is worth to screw someone over out of revenge.

One potential option is we could implement this with modifications.  For instance, we could enforce the rule on houses that have less than x value, say $5k or $10k to protect the broken house drops between alts and the picking on of newbs.  And/Or we could allow tool overkill within a percentage like 10% over is ok, but not 100%.

What are the thoughts!?

#2 2016-03-20 11:13:13

Amatiel

Re: Quick poll on a new behavior of TH vs TCD on "Tool Overkill"

Sounds like a good mechanic.

Concerns/comments:

- Value of tools? Would you go off sell value or purchase value of tools? You can make a profit by robbing them with the purchase value of tools if you indeed acquired those tools from other means than purchasing them yourself.

- Brilliant mechanic to prevent tool dumping. Come down hard on doing this to houses with less than 15k value.

- Rich people can still "trash" poor peoples houses to an extent by just bringing the max limit of tools over numerous visits. A determined player can still grief in other words. Is this a bad thing? I'm undecided. With player names being more available its much easier for people to coordinate on the forums to gang up on disliked players. We saw the same thing in TCD against suspected cheaters.

- Perhaps the value of the house in this aspect should be determined by the actual value of tiles placed in the house. Prevents high end players deliberately decreasing their own value to prevent a targeted brute force attack by a rival seeking to wipe them out after an attempt on their own place for example.

Overall, I like it. Wish this was thought of for TCD earlier.

Last edited by Amatiel (2016-03-20 17:04:17)

#3 2016-03-20 18:27:52

cullman

Oh I suggested it to Jason for TCD.  My thinking would be the sell value of the tools you were bringing couldn't be higher than the maximum value of what you would take in a robbery from the house.  The reason I choose this over basing it on the build the cost of the house, is if you think about it there are only a few reasons to bring $1000 of sale value tools into a house with $50 of value in the safe and Sentry Bot (nee wife).
- Dumping tool value for alt/main to pick up
- Trashing a house for revenge
- You're bored and have a lot of money and want to screw up a beginner's house

I don't think any of these scenarios save the revenge one, help the game be better at all.

Also, your scenario where I could trash a house over multiple visits only works if I could kill a bot/family member each trip there for saving the damage between visits.

#4 2016-03-21 08:01:42

Amatiel

The scenario i am afraid of is one i can recall from TCD where someone was using multiple accounts to generate a vast sum of wealth in a very short time, buy tonnes of tools to eliminate a rival then decrease their house value deliberately to avoid being brute forced themselves (as it would not be worth it).

The above scenario would not only make it not profitable to raid their house to prevent them brute forcing yours... the new mechanic would actually prohibit you from doing it at all... making it open to abuse.

This is the only way I can actually think of abusing this mechanic tho...

Last edited by Amatiel (2016-03-21 08:04:44)

#5 2016-03-21 17:06:06

cullman

Yeah that's a very good point... Perhaps we just make this mechanic only in play for houses that are broken and/or have less than $2k of construction inside.

#6 2016-03-26 10:08:24

Passive
Administrator

Amatiel wrote:

The scenario i am afraid of is one i can recall from TCD where someone was using multiple accounts to generate a vast sum of wealth in a very short time, buy tonnes of tools to eliminate a rival then decrease their house value deliberately to avoid being brute forced themselves (as it would not be worth it).

Yea I agree anything that stops this is good.

Board footer